Friday 2 May 2008

I have a terrible confession…

Rock – as you know – always my thing. There’s barely anything else in my music collection. From Bowie I progressed to Led Zep, loved Ozzy, went to see Rush at 16 (Tom, Kathryn…2112!!!!!), discovered the eternal joys of Metallica: even my mellow stuff is Nirvana, Foo Fighters. At a club obviously I’ll shake my booty to, well, pretty much anything after a few beers as witnessed at Brian’s wedding; Sally and I could hardly walk the next morning. Most definitely I am straight on that dance floor to a bit of Aretha or Freda Payne (Band of Gold – one of my top ten songs of all time). Lucy and I painted Peru a definite shade of red in 2006 with our non-stop Abba/disco inferno showing those bright young things how the old girls do it. San Francisco Holly and I have discovered the joys of the BeeGees breakfast on occasions when I’ve slept over; and I do like cleaning to Take That. Oh the joys of the boys!

Here’s the confession…I seem to have developed a nostalgic love of Hall and Oates. It’s one thing to strut your stuff to, “…Whoo, ooh, here she comes, watch out boy she’ll chew you up…”, but “…When I feel cold you warm me, When I feel I can’t go on you come and hold me (Daryl hits that high note and I feel the tears welling in my eyes)…It’s you... and me… forever...”. It started as a joke between Justine and I when they seemed to be playing, “…I said your kiss, your kiss, is on my list…” every time we were in Safeway. But last week I found myself saying to her, “But Justine, they invented a fusion of rock and roll and rhythm and blues, a style which they dubbed ‘rock and soul’. They are brilliant." She simply said, “Milly they are not,” and she looked at me with such disappointment I realized I had gone too far; that my 80’s nostalgia had taken control of my senses. I put on some Sepultura and Rage against the Machine. I’m feeling much better now. Whoo,ooh (damn). That’s weight off my mind.

We have mid-terms next week and the week after. I’ve got a horrible physiology exam on my birthday. My birthday! I don’t even usually go to work, let alone sit an exam. I usually spend the whole day with Sally and a champagne picnic watching the Rome Masters. I’m feeling just a little grumpy. However, once exams are over I’m straight on a plane for a long weekend in Vancouver; my first time to Canada, and I’m looking forward to it very much.

This week's pictures: The Marina,Emma, with ball on the beach and a dogmate,shopfront:the Castro, the coast road.


No comments: